In July, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA). The Senate’s version of WRDA, the America’s Water Infrastructure Act of 2020 (AWIA) now awaits a vote. If this important legislation is not voted on and passed by the end of the month, it will have to start the legislative process from the beginning of the 117th Congress, delaying many important projects by a year, or more.
Specifically, this legislation would tackle water quality issues, coastal resiliency challenges, small and emerging harbor and additional waterway access initiatives including:
- The spread of aquatic invasive species and harmful algal blooms,
- Everglades and Great Lakes restoration,
- Impacts of Climate Change on Coastal Communities,
- Funding water infrastructure projects in small and emerging harbors; and
- Equitable funding for recreational based waterways
Please tell your Senator to bring America’s Water Infrastructure Act of 2020 to the floor for a vote and to vote YES to its passage.